Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Special Friend



I hesitate to talk about special friends of mine because I have been blessed with so many and don't want to hurt any feelings. I love each of them so much! I could go on all day listing wonderful things about them. But last night I was thinking about one friendship I have that is a little unlikely but incredible.
That friend is Val. I can't say that we have all that much in common. She is a farm girl, I'm not. She is a Grandma, I'm not. She has way more knowledge and wisdom that I could ever hope to have.

Our story of friendship is a little different from others. First of all I am telling this story with the utmost respect and love for her family. The first time I heard about her family was when I was newly married. My Mom was a nurse at the hospital and had come home and told me about a little boy that had passed away that day. My Mom was heartbroken. I remember both of us crying for their sweet family even though I didn't know them at the time.

A few years later we happened to move into their ward and neighborhood. I didn't even realize they were that family until she had given a lesson in Relief Society and talked about her precious son she had lost. My heart sank. I was even a little scared to get to know her because I didn't want our connection to be because of her son and my Mom. I'm so ashamed to say that for the next five years I kept her as an acquaintance more than a friend.

It wasn't until we moved out of the ward and back in that our friendship began to take off. Her youngest was in first grade with my son and they became best friends over night. And still are. From that point on we were talking all the time. We have even served in the Young Women's Presidency together.

Last night she dropped a gift off for my little girl who has been sick with the "swine flu". She had also brought over a gift to Emilio when he was sick.It made me think of how blessed I am to have her in my life. I can call her for anything. I can talk to her about everything. We have so much fun going to the movies, out to eat lunch or just talking. She has taught me so much and continues to teach me so much. I have never felt judged by her, just understood. Since then, we have been able to talk about her sweet little boy without any awkwardness. I think it is amazing how God puts people in each others paths for the better wether it is for healing, lessons to be learned or friendships to made. She is so dear to me and I am thankful she is my special friend.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Thanks Kari....you are way too kind! It is you that does so much for our family. Bryce loves going to your house on Wednesdays after school and even though you are working now, he still gets to go there. And he is so happy about that. You've never taken one cent for it even though I know you could use the money for all those 'life happenings' you've had lately. You have such a neat family!! We do have fun at the movies. I think some of that is Jolene Averett's laugh...

The Bartons said...

Hey I don't know if you remember me from High School/Drill Team but I found your blog through Sylvias. I LOVE Val and haven't seen her in ages and ages. She is one awesome person and so very strong. I remember when their son passed too it was very heartbreaking. Your a great friend for spotlighting her :)